Spring 2013 COSI for credit project
2D Map Designer (1 credit)
By: Dan Lavine
- Implement a tool that can be used to quickly design and develop map levels for a
2D block layout game such as Pokemon or Zelda for the original Gameboy.
- Write maps into an easly readable and parsable data object( JSON ) for game developers.
- Learn Python as yet another useful programing language.
- Python's Tkinter library is not great to use when dynamically sized gui elements need to return
their dimensions. To obtain the sizes, a Tkinter window needs to be running inside of the main
loop which is listening for user inputs. I did not find a way to override this loop to easily call
a sizing function.
- The python imaging library PIL does not correctly make use of pythons garbage collector.
- These two problems made it hard to have clean code and in the end it begame hashed together as
I have unneeded data laying around as well as initialization function that seem completely out
Python Tkinter: Tkinter
Python Ttk: ttk
Python Imaging Library: PIL
Source code available on github: