In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Welcome to the home page of the Muslim Students' Association of Northern New York (MSA of NNY). We are located in Potsdam, NY, which is about 140 miles north of Syracuse, NY. MSA of NNY is a religious association for muslim students at Clarkson University and SUNY Potsdam. The local MSA chapter is affiliated with to
MSA National of US and Canada
The primary purpose of this home page is to
- serve and to support local muslims by providing them with information about their "deen" (religion)
- provide information to prospective and incoming muslim students (to Clarkson and SUNY Potsdam) about our religious activities
- serve as a resource outlet for anyone who is interested in knowing and understanding Islam.
The MSA of Northern New York was founded in the early eighties. It
The Potsdam mosque is a member of the Ministerial Association of Potsdam (MAP). The membership of the MAP is open to any faith and all religious denominations. In the MAP, there are representatives from the Jewish and the Hindu faiths, several Christian Protestant churches and two Catholic parishes from Potsdam and the Unitarian Universalist church of Canton, NY.
- maintains a mosque that serves Potsdam and the neighboring communities in Northern New York
- organizes various religious and social activities (the Friday Jumu'aa prayer, the Eid prayers, Ramadhan, etc.) for the local muslims
- houses a library that has a rich collection of islamic books, audio and video tapes
- participates in charitable activities.
The following is the opening chapter of the Holy Qur'an. Muslims recite the arabic text during the five obligatory prayers (at least 22 times) during the day. We also have provided the translation by Yousuf Ali.
Acknowledgement: Majority of the arabic gif-files and other info used here have appeared
on several MSA homepages. We have borrowed these from various places.
Our address is shown below.
The MSA of Northern New York
Box 110 Elm Street
Potsdam, NY 13676