- Attendance is required.Exceptions need to ask for permissions.
- If you have any questions, feel free to stop by or email me and ask at any time.
- Better to start the assignments early and ask the questions early.
- DO NOT ask the questions in the last minute.
- All the labs are due at the midnight of the given date. Ask for the permission of late hand in before the due, NOT after the due.
- I am open to any suggestions or comments on the labs.
- All work for this class must be done individually.
- Discussion on how to solve the assignments is encouraged but also need to give credits by acknowledgements or to collaborators, especially from books, the Internet.
- Any work from other students or any other source SHOULD NOT be submitted as your own.
- Follow the instructions in Section IV of Clarkson's official regulations.
In this class, students will frequently use polaris to upload the assignments. The credentials for polaris should be the same with your clarkson email account and password. If you get access denied to polaris, don't hesitate to go to OIT or helpdesk for help.
Polaris behaves as a remote linux machine. Inside polaris, we are maintaining a class directory cs444/sp15/ to store OS assignments. Each assignment is a separate directory ASSIGNMENT_NAME/ ( a placehold for the real assignment name). Your assignment should be uploaded to your own directory, the same name as your clarkson id. You won't have permissions to other students' directories. You have write permissons to each assignment directory before its due time. You will only read permissons after the due.
Below are the common commands you may use in this class:
Log into Polaris
for example: ssh firstname.lastname@example.org
Change to your lab directory
for example: cd /afs/cu/class/cs444/sp15/lab1/hajiang/
Upload your assignment
scp your_file email@example.com:/afs/cu/class/cs444/sp15/your_clarkson_id/assignments
for example: scp yourcode.txt firstname.lastname@example.org:/afs/cu/class/cs444/sp15/hajiang/attendance
If you want to upload a sub-directory, you need to add option "
-r" in the
scp command.But don't wrap all your files in a directory and then just upload one directory into your class directory.Please upload all your files plus subdirectory directly. Thanks.
- Log into your assignment directory to validate the files' existence after you have uploaded.
- Don't compress your assignment files. Uncompress the files will take TA's extra efforts.
- Don't upload executable files or large files. Polaris has limited disk quota.
- Don't submit another assignment folder into your clarkson id folder.
Warning: This schedule is tentative and will change as the semester progresses!
|Jan 23||Build your own shell||Link||Feb 20|
|Jan 30||System Monitoring||Link||Feb 06|
|Feb 06||Virtualization||Virtual Box|
|Feb 20||Add System Call||In Class|
|Feb 27||Lock Granularity||Lock Granularity||Mar 06|
|Feb 27||User-level File System||User-level file system||Mar 27|
|Mar 06||Set up software RAID
|Mar 13||Synchronization: Barber Shop||Barber Shop Problem||Apr 3|